Attala County
Mississippi Genealogy & History Network











Communities and Places

Attala County, Mississippi



Please submit your Attala County, Mississippi communities and places for researchers to share. Send your information to the Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy & History Network at msghn@outlook.com


If you know of an Attala County, Mississippi community or place that is not on our list, please let us know.



Click on any linked community/place name below to see photos and/or more information.







Anis
CR3122 at CR3207 about 10 miles SE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.269786, -89.590465



Antioch (historical)
CR 5006 about 3 miles SW of McCool.
GPS: 33.166667, -89.359722



Aponaug (historical)
CR 3032 about 2 miles west of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.058333, -89.619444



Archie (historical)
About 12 miles southeast of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.981942, -89.394023



Attalaville (historical)
Once on what is now CR 4106 about 2 miles SW of Sallis.
GPS: 33.009722, -89.788889



Auris (historical)
Once on CR3122 about 7 miles SE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.233333, -89.695556



Bear Creek (historical)
Once on CR 2135 at CR2132 about 3 miles N of McCool.
GPS: 33.241111, -89.355556



Berea (historical)
On CR 3122 about 17 miles N of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.238889, -89.438889



Beulah (historical)
Once on CR 1106 at Old Center Road about 10 miles SE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.955556, -89.484722



Bluff Springs (historical)
Once on CR 4114 about 2 miles ENE of Salis.
GPS: 33.033333, -89.734722



Boswell (historical)
Established as a railroad flag stop in 1883 abt 15 miles NE of Kosciusko.
The stop was named for T.J. boswell, a landowner in this area.



Bowies Chapel
Hwy 411 about 2 miles south of McCool.
GPS: 33.175000, -89.343611



Bowlin
CR 4101 at CR 4205 about 5 miles east of Durant.
GPS: 33.084722, -89.776389



Boyette
CR 4101 near CR 4110 about 4 miles SSE of Durant.
GPS: 33.021944, -89.833056



Branchville (historical)
Hwy 14 near CR 4007 about 7 miles SW of Sallis.
GPS: 32.931944, -89.830556



Briscoe's Mill (historical)
Once on CR 3122 near CR 3203 about 9 miles SE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.263056, -89.620833



Buffalo Mills (historical)
Once on Munson Creek near the Natchez Trace.
GPS: 33.063056, -89.550000



Burkettsville (historical)
Once on what is now CR 3225 at CR 3232 abt 2 miles E of Hesterville.
GPS: 33.155556, -89.619444



Burks Precinct (historical)
On CR 2263 about 8 miles SW of French Camp.
GPS: 33.244444, -89.518333



Carmack
On Hwy 35 about 6 miles north of Hesterville.
GPS: 33.240278, -89.662500



Carson Ridge (historical)
Hanna Road about 2 miles SE of Ethel.
GPS: 33.104167, -89.431944



Cecil (historical)
On Hwy 35 about 6 miles north of Hesterville.
GPS: 33.240278, -89.662500



Center
On CR 5131 at CR 5020 about 12 miles SE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.945278, -89.430833



Center Point (historical)
Once on Hwy 19 about 4 miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.084722, -89.645833



Chapel Hill (historical)
On CR 3122 at CR 2265 about 5 miles SW of French Camp.
GPS: 33.262222, -89.468056



Chita (historical)
About 12 miles north of Kosciusko on CR 3217.
GPS: 33.225556, -89.602222



Commodore (historical)
Once on CR 5107 about 10 miles SE of Ethel.
GPS: 33.022222, -89.347222



Conly Mills (historical)
Once on Hwy 407 about 2 miles NE of McCool.
GPS: 33.212500, -89.326389



Cowpen (historical)
Once on New Hope Road about 7 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.041667, -89.479722



Creek (historical)
Settled in 1880, 10 miles N of Kosciusko by the Wasson family,
Creek was named for its location at the headwaters of Zilpha Creek.
About 1915, Creek became part of the Shady Grove community.



Crooker Mill (historical)
Once located about 3 miles north of Sallis.
GPS: 33.056944, -89.760000



Cunnahoma (historical)
Settled 6 miles SE of Kosciusko when William and Allen Dodd came from Kentucky and settled here in 1830. William Dodd became the first State Representative from Attala Co., 1836-37. Cunnahoma School consolidated with Williamsville and Rimmer Schools in 1916 and Cunnahoma becane extinct.



Denmans Ferry (historical)
Once on Hwy 35 at the Big Black River about 3 1/2 miles SE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.300000, -89.695833



Dodds (historical)
Once on CR 1022 about 5 miles SSE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.002778, -89.562500



Dossville
Singleton Road at County Line Road about 9 miles SSE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.930556, -89.549722



Doty Springs (historical)
Once on Hanna Road at Hwy 411 about 14 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.052778, -89.359722



Eagle Mills (historical)
Ridge Road about six miles SE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.015278, -89.496667



Earlyville (historical)
CR 4167 about seven miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.076944, -89.709722



East Macedonia
CR 5105 at CR 5107 about 14 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.015556, -89.345833



Edgefield (historical)
CR 5233 at CR 5240 about 7 miles east of Ethel.
GPS: 33.124444, -89.337500



Ethel
Hwy 12 about 8 miles NE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.120278, -89.465833



Evelyn (historical)
Sam Peeler settled Evelyn 5 miles SE of Kosciusko in the late 1850s.
Another early settler was named Hollingsworth, who owned the land there.
He sold the land to Steve Rimmer, who in turn sold it to L.J. Hanks.
Evelyn was also called Hanks by many in the area.



Fletchers Bridge (historical)
Once located about 3 miles south of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.017500, -89.590556



Forrest (historical)
Rock Port Road at CR 2120 about 8 miles NW of Ethel.
GPS: 33.175833, -89.517222



Friendship (historical)
Hwy 43 at CR 3122 about 5 miles west of French Camp.
GPS: 33.285278, -89.545833



Glendale (historical)
On CR 5001 about 11 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.031944, -89.337500



Gregory (historical)
Once located about 3 miles NE of Ethel near Ruth Branch.
GPS: 33.144444, -89.422222



Hanna Plantation (historical)
see history of Gregory above.
GPS: 33.145833, -89.419444



Heath (historical)
Once on CR 2263 about 8 miles SW of French Camp.
GPS: 33.241944, -89.522222



Hesterville
Hwy 35 at Hwy 440 about 8 miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.160556, -89.654167



Higgins (historical)
On Knox Road at the Natchez Trace Parkway just east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.067222, -89.545556



Hollingsworth (historical)
When the Kosciusko & Southeastern RR came through 10 miles SE of
Kosciusko in 1870, a flag stop was established on this site and named Hollingsworth.
The place was named for Tom Hollingsworth on whose land the stop was located.
Hollingsworth became extinct in 1934 when the flag stop was discontinued.



Hughes (historical)
Hughes, about 10 miles NW of Kosciusko, was named for E.W. Hughes
who moved here in the early 1890s. Hughes operated a store/post office in 1896,
with Mrs. Hughes serving as postmistress until 1906. W.R. Campbell
bought the Hughes store in 1908 and continued to operate the
post office until it was closed in 1910.



Hurricane
On Hwy 12 about 4 miles SW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.025000, -89.645000



Jamison (historical)
Once about 7 miles SE of Kosciusko, Jamison was settled by Capt. Henry Jamison and was called the Jamison Place or Mill for many years. In 1917, when the Kosciusko & Southeastern Railroad came through, a flag stop was named Jamison for Miss Susie Jamison who then owned the place. The stop was abolished in 1920.



Joplin (historical)
Hwy 19 at Hwy 14 about 8 miles ESE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.031111, -89.465278



Joplins Mill (historical)
On Archie Creek about 6 miles SSE of Ethel.
GPS: 33.031111, -89.426111



Joseph (historical)
CR 4102 at CR 4163 about 4 miles SE of Sallis.
GPS: 32.975556, -89.727778



Keith (historical)
Keith was a post office established in 1902 in the short
distance between Hollingsworth and Joplin. It was named for Joe Keith
who had settled here some years before Joplin located his mill.
W.M. Brazeale bought land that adjoined the Keith Place where he operated a store
and kept the Keith Post Office until it was discontinued in 1906.



Kirkwood Ferry (historical)
Once on the Big Black River about 5 miles SSE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.268056, -89.710556



Knox (historical)
Was on Hwy 35 about 7 miles SSE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.959722, -89.562500



Kosciusko
Hwy 12 about 16 miles east of Durant.
GPS: 33.057500, -89.587500



Langley (historical)
CR 3222 at CR 2245 about 11 miles NNE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.219722, -89.542222



Liberty Chapel (historical)
On Rock Port Road at CR 2253 about 5 miles north of Ethel.
GPS: 33.193611, -89.484722



Liberty Hill (historical)
On Liberty Hill Road about 3 miles west of McCool.
GPS: 33.211111, -89.389722



Lilly (historical)
Lilly was a post office in the Sand Hill Community about 11 miles
north of Kosciusko. Established in 1894 with Annette Duncan
as postmistress, it was discontinued in 1905.



Macedonia
Once on CR 3232 about 9 miles north of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.184722, -89.596389



Marvin's Chapel
On Old Trace Road about 4 miles NE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.108333, -89.544444



McAdams
On Hwy 12 at CR 4167 about 6 miles SW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.021111, -89.688333



McCool
On Hwy 407 and Hwy 411 about 7 miles SE of French Camp.
GPS: 33.201944, -89.345000



McVille
On Hwy 43 at CR 4026 about 9 miles SSW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.931389, -89.621944



Mercer (historical)
On Hwy 14 about 8 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.044444, -89.450833



Mitchell's Mill (historical)
On Scoobachita Creek about 9 miles SE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.236111, -89.635556



Mount Herman (historical)
CR 3102 about 8 miles SSE of Vaiden.
GPS: 33.225278, -89.702778



Multona Springs
Rock Port Road at CR 2111 about 6 miles east of McCool.
GPS: 33.198611, -89.444444



Munson (historical)
Once where Knox Road crosses Munson Creek about 2 miles ENE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.069444, -89.554167



New Hope
Knox Road at New Hope Road about 7 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.055556, -89.476389



Newport
Hwy 429 at Hwy 14 about 6 miles south of Sallis.
GPS: 32.936944, -89.764444



Newtonville (historical)
CR 5053 at CR 5204 about 10 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.063056, -89.415278



Nile (historical)
Nile Road at CR 1105 about 9 miles SE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.945833, -89.516667



North Center (historical)
CR 3122 at CR 3207 about 14 miles north of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.269444, -89.590278



North Union (historical)
North Union Road at CR 3106 about 11 miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.201389, -89.695833



Oak Ridge (historical)
CR 2263 about 14 miles NNE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.243548, -89.509795



Oakland (historical)
Was located at the crossroads of Rockport Road and old Kosciusko-Bluff Springs Hwy.
A store, saloon, and a blacksmith shop were built here. A small
school was started about 1840 and in 1917 the Oakland School Dist
was joined with Possumneck and Oakland became extinct.



Pansy (historical)
About 16 miles east of Kosciusko, the Pansy post office
was in the Doty Springs Community in the home of Doss Ray in 1899.
The name Pansy was selected from a list of ten names.
The name was suggested by Sallie Laura,
the five year old daughter of Mr. Ray.



Patterson (historical)
Once on Ridge Road about 11 miles southeast of Koscisusko.
GPS: 32.977500, -89.431944



Phoenix Mills (historical)
CR 2247 at CR 2240 about 7 miles west of McCool.
GPS: 33.203056, -89.458889



Pickletown (historical)
On CR 2247 at CR 2240 about 7 miles west of McCool, Pickletown
was settled by Lewis and Frank Pickle who came to Attala County in 1836.
They settled in what later bacame the Knox School District near
Leake County. Pickletown-became 􀂊xtinct about 1890.



Pierce's Chapel (historical)
Hwy 43 at CR 3217 about 7 miles NNE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.160833, -89.559722



Pilgrim's Rest (historical)
Shady Grove Road at CR 2234 about 5 miles NW of Ethel.
GPS: 33.185556, -89.510278



Plantation (historical)
Hwy 12 at Natchez Trace Parkway about 5 miles NE of Kosciusko. GPS: 33.097222, -89.509167



Pleasant Ridge (historical)
CR 4202 and CR 4167 about 4 miles NE of Sallis. 33.062500, -89.716667



Possumneck
Hwy 19 at CR 3004 about 10 miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.141111, -89.741667



Providence
Hwy 14 at King's Road about 10 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.049167, -89.415000



Rockport (historical)
Once on CR 3002 about 9 miles NE of Durant.
GPS: 33.172222, -89.770833



Rocky Point (historical)
Once on Hwy 440 about 10 miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.168611, -89.700000



Rutherford (historical)
Once on Hwy 429 about 14 miles SW of Kosciusko, Rutherford was
first settled by Martin and McLean families. It received a name when
Frank Rutherford moved here in 1879 and bought much of the land in this area.
GPS: 32.942222, -89.747222



Sallis
On Hwy 429 near Hwy 12 about 12 miles west of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.022222, -89.765278



Sand Hill (historical)
Hwy 3231 about 11 miles NNW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.197222, -89.641667



Shady Grove
Z.A. Wasson came here in 1880 with his father and was the largest
landowner in the area. The first school was started in 1874 and was
also used as a church until Rev. N.C. Wasson moved
here in 1880 and organized a church called Shady Grove.
GPS: 33.211111, -89.535278



Shrock (historical)
CR 4003 about 6 miles east of Pickens.
GPS: 32.887500, -89.874722



Smyrna
CR 5131 at CR 1136 about 9 miles SE of Kosciusko, Smyrna is said to have been
settled between 1835 and 1840. It is one of the
oldest settlements in the county. It takes its name from Smyrna Presbyterian Church
was has been in continuous operation since 1839.
GPS: 32.988611, -89.485278



Springdale
Hwy 19 at CR 4227 about 7 miles NW of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.107222, -89.687500



Steadman (historical)
Once located about 8 miles SE of Kosciusko, Steadman was a
flag stop on the Kosciusko and Southeastern Railroad. It was
established as a lumber yard in 1918 and named for Robert Steadman,
a lumber man. The stop was discontinued in 1934.



Steele (historical)
Once on Hwy 407 about 2 miles NE of McCool, Steele was established in 1860 as a shipping point for cross ties.
GPS: 33.215278, -89.326389



Tabernacle (historical)
King's Road at CR 5217 about 11 miles east of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.078333, -89.428611



Tebo Post Office (historical)
Was located about 7 miles north of Kosciusko and named for C.H. Tebault, an absentee landowner who lived in New Orleans.



Thompson (historical)
Once on Harmony Road at CR 5223, Thompson was settled by Illinois native Elisha Thompson in 1866.
GPS: 33.116667, -89.379167



Thweatt (historical)
A railroad flagstop once on CR 4171 about 5 miles SW of Kosciusko. It was named for Uriah Thweatt and his four sons who lived in the area.
GPS: 33.019444, -89.642778



Turkey Creek (historical)
Once on Hanna Rd where it crosses Turkey Creek abt 4 miles SE of Ethel.
GPS: 33.089167, -89.410278



Unity (historical)
Formed about 14 miles NW of Kosciusko when several families met
Aug 22, 1885 to organize a Baptist church. The name Unity was
suggested by D.T. Guyton who donated land for the church.
GPS: 33.170833, -89.730556



Valena (historical)
Hwy 14 at CR 4101 about 2 miles SE of Goodman.
GPS: 32.954167, -89.883333



Waugh (historical)
Once on CR 4015 about 8 miles south of Sallis.
GPS: 32.910000, -89.783333



Weeks (historical)
Once about 11 miles west of Kosciusko, Weeks was settled by
Jabus Weeks who operated a horse powered gin before 1860.
In the 1880s he and his sons were operating a sawmill, gin, grist mill,
and molasses mill - all powered by steam. The post office was closed in 1906.
GPS: 33.072222, -89.743333



Williams Ferry (historical)
Was about a mile and a half east of Goodman on the Big Black River.
GPS: 32.966111, -89.891944



Williamsville
Williamsville Road at CR 1175 about 3 miles SSE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.026667, -89.566944



Zama
On Zama Road at CR 5013 about 15 miles SE of Kosciusko.
GPS: 32.975000, -89.380000



Zemuly (historical)
Hwy 14 at CR4163 about 12 miles SW of Kosciusko.
This area was first settled in 1845 but it had no name until
a post office was established in 1902 by Charlie Morgan,
which he named for his wife Zemuly. The post office was discontinued in 1907.
GPS: 32.949167, -89.721667



Zilpha (historical)
CR 3122 at CR 3203 about 16 miles north of Kosciusko.
GPS: 33.263333, -89.620000