(submitted by Sue Burns Moore & James Earl "Sam" Price)
"This is a listing of more than 100 old plantation and country homes in Claiborne County, Mississippi – all that we could find. Not all places were named, and some names are lost forever. Others have simply escaped us, and some lie hidden in old documents or genealogies waiting to be found. Often names changed as owners changed, or the plantation was absorbed into another one. Our primary source was Katie McCaleb Headley’s Claiborne County, Mississippi: The Promised Land, published by the Port Gibson-Claiborne County Historical Society in 1976. Other sources include deeds, biographies, letters, genealogies, and histories."
Sue Burns Moore
James Earl "Sam" Price
Please submit your Claiborne County, Mississippi records and updates for researchers to share. Send your information to the Claiborne County, Mississippi Genealogy & History Network at: email@example.com
ALBENA - William Sims; Martin Magruder - Dst. 1. South of Port Gibson on old Colony Road. One-and-a- half-story cottage. Wide columned porch.
ALMONT - Built by Horatio Nelson Spencer by 1836 - Near present-day Sugar Hill subdivision. A Yale lawyer, Spencer practiced in Port Gibson. In 1838 the family moved to Almont. He was first president of the Bank of Port Gibson and president of the Port Gibson and Grand Gulf Railroad in 1857.
ANCHUKA - Built by Richard T. and Ann Barnes Archer in 1834 - Dst. 5. Choctaw word for “home.” Two miles east of Port Gibson. Fine, two-and-a-half-story columned home, with 16 rooms, situated on an elevation in a large park of trees. Large rooms, dressing closets, double parlors, enclosed spiral staircase, marble mantles, folding doors. Razed ca 1939.
ANDREWS HOUSE - John Venable; his daughter, Mrs. Andrews; Wm. H. Simms - Part of Lyman Mandamus of the British era. Adjoined Sillers, Shaifer, and Wheeless properties. Became the property of William H. Simms ca 1857. The Battle of Port Gibson swirled around it, May 1, 1863.
(THE) ARK - Joseph Davenport - Four miles south of Port Gibson on the Natchez Trace. Razed 1930’s.
ASHLAND - Built by Col. Alfred Barnes; Humphreys family - Adjoined the Hermitage. North fork of Bayou Pierre. Built early 1800’s by Barnes, but belonged to Humphreys family until it burned in 1924. Main floor was built above a basement that was partitioned into rooms and completely furnished.
ASHWOOD - Baynard and Susan Evans Turpin; Home built in 1840’s by Alfred and Elizabeth Meade Ingraham - Dst. 3. Near Willow Springs crossroads, 1100 acres. Elizabeth, rebel sister of Union Gen. George Meade, recorded in her Civil War diary details of the fine mansion plundered by Union troops. Several generals made Ashwood their HQ, including Gen. McClernand who wrote President Lincoln from there. It was a two-story home with many galleries and fine furnishings and library situated on high hill in six-acre garden park.
ASKAMALA - William Thos. Magruder, son of Dr. Thos. Magruder - Dst. 5. Between Port Gibson and Hermanville. Built by 1851.
BANNOCKBURN - Col. David Smeaton Pattison; dau. Elizabeth Pattison Montgomery - Dst. 5. Fine old home. Elizabeth Pattison Montgomery taught a school here after the Civil War. Town of Pattison is likely named for this family. Mrs. Montgomery was a local poet.
BARLAND HOME - - East of Pattison. Large traditional cottage.
BEACHLAND - William Scott -
BEECHES - Duncan H. and Adeline C. McIntyre; John P. McIntyre; William R. Sugg - Dst 3.
BEECH GROVE - Person family - Dst. 5. Ten miles east of Hermanville. White two-story frame house. There is an early Beech Grove Church in Dst. 5 also.
BELMONT - James Cotton; Thomas Cotton; Joseph and Amelia Smylie Montgomery - Located along the Natchez Trace. Large home with exceptionally long gallery, burned in 1912. The Montgomery family moved to Belmont in 1859, living there during war and Reconstruction.
BELVIDERE - Built ca 1850 by Ralston and Catherine Priscilla Smith Byrnes - North side of Bayou Pierre, six miles from Rocky Springs; 3000 acre plantation inherited by Byrnes from his grandfather, David McCaleb. Catherine instituted Byrnes school on the plantation for her children, neighbors and servants. She wrote under the pseudonym of Bempty. “Byrnemore” and “Shamrock” were also created from Belvidere lands.
BELVUE - L. Briscoe Allen - Located on Grand Gulf Road.
BIG SAND - Isaac Bland - Very early plantation in Dst. 3, NE of Big Sand Creek. (Sec. 6, Twp. 13, R. 5E).
BLOOMFIELD - - Plantation was sold for $16,000 during Reconstruction as payment for debt incurred during war to aid and equip Confederate soldiers.
BOWLING GREEN - Mrs. Volney Stamps (Jane Stowers Stamps); Disharoons - Located near Grindstone Ford. Fine house, built in 1830’s. Fine brick home with plastered brick Corinthian columns, large gallery, fine woodwork. Burned around 1930’s or 1940’s; a part of modern Valley of the Moon plantation. The Stamps also owned a whiskey distillery.
BUCKHORN - Capt. William King - Plantation of about 1,000 acres near Windsor and Valentine place. Home burned by Union troops during war. Located south of James Creek and Valentine home. Buckhorn Cemetery and King Cemetery.
BUENA VISTA - James Waterman and Miriam Buck Watson - Dst. 3. Upper Bayou Pierre. Spacious two-and-a-half-story home. Unusual small balcony in dining room. Burned about 1940. Site of Watson’s Steam Gin, National Register of Historic Places.
BURLINGTON - Daniel and Ruth Sevier Sparks Vertner - Located SE of Port Gibson along the Natchez Trace, near McGregor. Ruth was the daughter of Gov. John Sevier of Tennessee. Historian J. F. H. Claiborne stated that Burlington was “well-remembered for its excellent hospitalities.”
BRUINSBURG - Judge Peter Bryan Bruin; George Overaker; Lewis Evans; Thomas L. & Anna Evans; Joseph Moore Magruder - Dst. 1. Andrew Jackson, future U. S. President, had a trading post here in the early 1790’s. Site of Bruinsburg Landing on the Mississippi River where Gen. U. S. Grant on his march to the rear of Vicksburg, Apr. 30, 1863, made the largest U. S. amphibious landing prior to D-Day.
CABINWOOD - Built ca 1825-1830 by Dr. Thomas B. Magruder; Magruder family - Located about three miles east of Port Gibson. Comfortable two-story cabin built for workmen who constructed Oaken Grove. Had a gallery, shutters, and frosted glass panels in door. Magruder family members kept and used the cabin after the main house was completed.
CALEDONIA - Duncan H. McIntyre - Dst. 3. Caledonia adjoined Ashwood Plantation in 1842.
CALLENDER - Built ca 1866 by C. D. & Lizzie Hamilton; Maxwell brothers; Callender family - Dst. 2 - Near Grand Gulf and Mississippi River on Port Gibson-Grand Gulf Road.
CANE HILL (OR) PERKINS HOUSE - William D. Bush; Passmore Hoopes; Caleb P. Perkins, Jr. - Dst. 1 – In 1835 Caleb and Cynthia Ann Whitaker Perkins bought Cane Hill, adjoining the Shaifer property. One-and-a- half-story home with long columned porch located on high hill near Widow’s Creek. Union troops took more than $30,000 worth of supplies. Temporary headquarters of Grant during Battle of Port Gibson, May 1, 1863. Cane Hill Cemetery located here.
CANE MOUNT - Built ca 1825 and updated ca 1855 by John Murdock; Murdock family until 1929 - Dst.1. Built on Cochrandale plantation inherited from Robert Cochran’s Spanish land grant of ca 1787. Half mile east of old Oakland College of which Murdock was a primary benefactor. One-and-a-half-story cottage in large park surrounded by four square-columned galleries, 14-inch-thick brick walls, two large wings, enclosed courtyard, walnut staircase, marble mantles. They also owned “Cane Brake.”
CAPERS - George Darden - Dst. 5. Fine county white frame home built in 1850’s and located east of Pattison.
CAYUGA - Wilson F. Dillon; Myles Luster; E. W. Haring - Cayuga tract (Sec. 7, Twp. 14, R. 5E) named in sale in 1828 by Dillon to Luster. NE end of county, Red Bluff, P. O.
CHICAGO - Built ca 1850’s by John McMurchy; Dr. E. L. Green; Segrist family - White frame two-story house with large columned galleries and exceptional staircase. Burned in 1920’s. James S. Douglas family cemetery located here. Foundation of a large home is near the cemetery.
CLAREMONT - Built in 1818 by Judge Joshua G. Clark; Eli West; Rev. S. R. Bertron family - Dst. 1. One-and-a-half-story frame home. Judge Clarke was first Chancellor of the Mississippi judiciary. Special features included 12-foot-high brick basement, folding doors, great hall, large rooms and marble mantles.
COLD SPRINGS - David McCaleb; Edwin H. McCaleb - Dst. 4. Upper Bayou Pierre, today above Carlisle on Hwy. 18. First log house built in ca 1810. No home remains. Cemetery.
COLLINA - Spanish land grant of Samuel Gibson. Collina - Plantation originally known as Shusan. Owned by Gibson; Israel Loring; Volney Stamps; Wm. Stowers; Robert Harper family and A. K. Jones. Name changed by Judge Stamps to Collina meaning “hill.” Greek Revival , one-and-a-half-story.
DISHAROON HOUSE - Built between 1830-1840 by Passmore and Eliza T. Moore Hoopes; Judge Ellett - Hoopes & Bogart, commercial agents, one of most important cotton shipping agencies in the mid-1830’s. Fine three-story home. Solid mahogany winding stair case. Adam Gordon sold to Hoopes before his death in 1836 a large tract of land in Claiborne county, for a sum of nearly $100,000, taking in payment a residence and several notes.
DOVER - C. D. Hamilton -
DOW”S MILL - Lorenzo Dow, famous itinerant evangelist, and wife Peggy - South of Port Gibson
EDGEHILL - Girault family: Dr. and Mrs. Stephen Pilsworth Shaifer - Fine home five miles east of Port Gibson known for beautiful lawn and garden in 1863.
EILDON - John B. Conger; Martha Archer Conger Tucker; Wm. S. Hays; Clara Warren Pearson - Fine house. Before 1853.
ELEVENTON - unknown - Eleventon Cemetery is near Clark’s Creek bridge in Dst. 5.
ELMWOOD - John P. McNeill; Dr. Thomas Young - John P. McNeill (b. ca. 1782) had settled in Natchez by 1816. He owned at least two plantations, Springfield in Adams County and Elmwood in Claiborne County.
ELWOOD SPRINGS - John Raines; Mackey home; Dr. N. P. Meek - Located several miles south of Port Gibson. Named for mineral springs on plantation.
EVERGREEN - Thomas Boswell Adams, Jr., Methodist minister, and wife Mary Taliaferro Adams - Located near Rocky Springs.
FAIRVIEW - John Taylor Moore, wife Elvie Anna Bowie Moore - Dst. 3. Fine home burned by Union soldiers during Civil War. Elvie was the daughter of Resin Bowie and niece of famed Alamo defender, Jim Bowie.
FOREST PLACE - Benjamin Grubbs Humphreys - Located on Big Black River. One of several plantations owned by Humphreys, a Confederate brigadier general and Mississippi governor.
FLOWERS HOME or HICKORY RIDGE - Built ca 1832 by Ignatious G. Flowers or P. G. Flowers - Dst. 3. Located in Hickory Ridge community. Built in 1832, largest home in Claiborne County, before Windsor was built in 1859. Three-story brick house with ground level, partitioned basement with huge fireplaces. Elegant features included a spiral marble staircase and a large ballroom on 3rd floor. Razed about 1937.
GLENSADE - Built in 1850’s by John C. Humphreys; Joseph C. Killian; George C. Humphreys; D. George Humphreys; C. C. Goza - First known as Egypt Plantation, part of the Hartley Mandamus. Large one-and-a-half-story frame building with modified Tuscan columns across front of home. Huge underground basement. About two miles from Port Gibson.
GREENWOOD - Gilford Torrey; Evan Shelby Jeffries - Dst. 5. One-and-a-half story home on Pattison Road. Irwin Russell, local dialect poet, wrote his famous “Christmas Night in the Quarters” here.
GREENWOOD - Built ca 1828 by William and Clarissa Crane Christie Young; Mary Hughes - Dst. 1. Two-and-a-half-story with wide porches, located in beautiful park 3-4 miles west of Port Gibson. Near Mont Gomer. Burned in 1940’s.
GREENWOOD - Lake family; Mandeville Richmond - Dst. 4. Destroyed by fire.
GREENWOOD - S. J. Russell - Located near Humphreys community.
GROVE’S VALLEY - Built by Mr. Grove ca 1821; the widow Rembert; D. J. Dohan family; Valentine family - Dst. 1. Cottage-style one-and-a-half-story home in Westside community about a quarter mile from Bethel Church. Graceful staircase, built-in cabinets, wide gallery. Valentine family cemetery is here.
HAMER MANSION - Built ca 1840’s by William H. and Harriet N. Stevens Hamer - Dst. 3. Located five miles from Rocky Springs near Ivanhoe Bridge. Galleries surrounded the two-story mansion. Famous for its beautiful columns, exquisite woodwork, fine carriage house and swimming pool on the roof.
HARD SCRABBLE - Uriah Powers; H. G. Powers - Dst. 3. Located in the water shed of Big Sand. Elizabeth Meade Ingraham states in her diary that the Powers place was burned out by their slaves in 1863.
HARD TIMES - Builder unknown; Lindsay Disharoon - Dst. 2. Plantation cemetery includes graves of the Bland family.
HARRINGTON HOUSE - - Log house built in dogtrot style with wide front porch.
HERMITAGE - Built ca 1810 by Rev. War veteran, Capt. William McCaleb - Located across Bayou Pierre from Hopewell. One-and-a-half- story home with wide gallery across the front. Burned in 1890. Family cemetery.
HERMITAGE - Spanish grant 1785 to David Smith; George Wilson Humphreys family - Dst. 2. Historical marker. Cabin replaced by a one-and-a-half or two-story home which became birthplace of Brig. Gen. and Gov. Benjamin Grubbs Humphreys. Burned during the Civil War. Andrew Jackson visited there when he lived in Claiborne County and later named his Nashville home “The Hermitage.”
HIGHLAND HOME - Jesse Hamilton; C. D. Hamilton - Dst. 2. Near Grand Gulf, used as Civil War hospital. Greek Revival home with 11 rooms. Special features incluse double parlors and a courtyard enclosed by three sides of the house. Bald Hill may have been the name of another Hamilton place or part of this one.
(THE) HILL - Judge Peter Van Dorn - Home of Confederate Gen. Earl Van Dorn built on outskirts of Port Gibson. Almost square double-brick, two-story home, with covered porches, paved walks and a garden. Peter Van Dorn’s wife Sophia was the niece of Rachel Jackson, so it is likely Andrew Jackson visited here.
HILLCREST - James Madison and Betty Berry Taylor; Author, Berry Morgan -
HOLLY HILL - Abram K. Shaifer, Sr, Henry Faulk Shaifer; A. K. Shaifer, Jr.; Kell and Amanda Guice Shaifer - Civil War site presently maintained by MS Dept. of Archives and History (MDAH). Battle of Port Gibson was fought here May 1, 1863. The one-story frame home with heavy shutters, double front doors, and a large porch was used as a hospital during this time. Adjacent to Magnolia Church historic site.
HOLLYROOD - Built ca 1836 by Israel Spenser - Originally Abijah Hunt’s Bayou Pierre Plantation. Two miles south of Port Gibson on the Natchez Trace.
HOMEWOOD - Col. Ralph and Sophie White Regan - Dst. 3. Regan Cemetery located here at Reganton.
HOPEWELL - James McCaleb; Ephraim Davenport - Dst. 5. Located north fork Bayou Pierre. Two-story mansion with two wings parallel to the front built by Davenport ca 1850’s; burned in 1918. Eight Corinthian columns, graceful staircase and intricate plaster moldings and medallions.
HULL HOUSE - Built mid-1860’s by Capt. P. C. and Caroline Bethea Hull - Dst. 4. Located two miles east of Hermanville. Spacious cottage, wide porch supported by square columns. Features included two wings and wide cross halls. Burned ca 1934.
IDLEWILD - Built ca 1848 by Judge Volney and Jane Stowers Stamps for their daughter; Englesing family; Episcopal Church - One-story home built on high foundation. Spacious gallery with broad steps and six columns. Feature included high windows and silver door knobs and a fountain. Henry Clay visited Port Gibson in 1844 and made a public address from this gallery. The lead pipes which carried water to the fountain were melted by Confederate soldiers to make bullets.
IDLEWILD - Dr. W. D. Sprott - Dst. 2.
INGLESIDE - Richard W. and Maria Ballard Sessions - Dst. 2. Near Grand Gulf. Looted by Union troops during Civil War.
INSMORE - Benijah Osmond and Catherine Remsen Holmes Smith; Catherine Smith and Chas. Ralston Byrnes - The family moved here ca 1848. Also known as “the Smith place.”
IVY HILL - Joseph H. Brock - Dst. 3.
LA CACHE - Harmon and Margaret Blennerhassett; Cochran; Murdock; Samuel Cobun, Esq. and Cobun brothers; Geo. W. Humphreys - Eight miles east of Port Gibson. In 1810 Blennerhassett bought the plantation on Bayou Pierre from Drury Breazeale. Blennerhassett was involved with the Aaron Burr conspiracy trial and bought La Cache, as his “hiding place.” By 1818, they sold it, along with 18 slaves, in order to move to Montreal. Cobun Cemetery here.
LONG BRANCH - E. P. Fourniquet - Grand Gulf around 1838. Overseer was Wm. Pugh.
LONGWAY - Milford Hunter - Dst. 2. Confederate hospital near Grand Gulf
LUCKNOW - Benjamin G. Humphreys; Judge James Hervey Maury; Juliet Stowers; George P. Healey - Bought by Humphreys in 1857 for summer residence. Plantation located three miles NE of Port Gibson. Adjoined Maury’s Nitta Tola Plantation. Maury’s daughter, Mildred, was Humphrey’s wife. Later, famous portrait painter Thomas Healey was a resident here for a time. Destroyed by fire in 1890.
MCGREGOR - Emily Van Dorn; Benjamin Hughes Magruder - Named for Clan McGregor, the ancestral clan of the Magruder family. Mile east of Chamberlain-Hunt Academy on the Pattison Road. One-and-a-half-story home; large porch supported by square columns. Fine furniture and art.
MCGILL MANSION - Andrew J. and Susan McGill - SW section of county near Oakland College. A temporary brick house was built; foundation of a great house begun, but never built because of death of McGill and the onset of the Civil War. It was to have been larger than Windsor.
MAGNOLIA GROVE - Built ca 1811 by William Richardson Buck; Caroline Buck - Dst. 1. Battle of Port Gibson, May 1, 1863, a cannon ball struck the house. Used as Civil War hospital. Original frame house built in dogtrot style, remodeled and added on to in the 1820’s and 1850’s. Fell into decay by the 1930’s. J. W. Watson, Jr. developed an extensive irrigation system here; remnants still visible today.
MAGNOLIA HILLS - George Ricks and Persis Raymond McAlpin(e); William Raymond and Melvina Harris McAlpine - When William R. McAlpin died in 1855 at his plantation Magnolia Hills, he left over 1,000 acres of land near Grand Gulf to his heirs, including sons John R. and D. V. McAlpin. The home, begun as a cabin, eventually had three wings. Property plundered by Union troops during the war.
MARYLAND - Barnes and Willis families - Near Port Gibson during Civil War.
MILLEMONT - Sally Humphreys; Benjamin G. Humphreys - B. G. Humphrey’s states in a biographical account that in 1845 he sold Forest Place and bought his sister Sally’s Millemont plantation. He moved there in 1855, sold it in 1857, and moved to Lucknow as a summer residence.
MONT GOMER - Spanish grant to Montgomery; Crane family - Dst. 5. Located four miles west of Port Gibson. Family plantation cemetery located here.
MONTE JUAN - Dr. James A. Maxwell - From newspaper article of the time: “However, by May 1, 1863, due to Federal gunboat bombardment, only Monte Juan, the bluff home of Dr. James A. Maxwell, remained of the once-thriving village and port [Grand Gulf], and the Confederate fortifications were abandoned.”
MONTROSE - T. Y. Aby -
MOUNT LAUREL - John E. Hall; Joseph C. Killian -
MOUNT SERRAT - Built in 1818 by William Clarke, son of Gibson Clarke; Gibson family - Dst. 4. Upper Bayou Pierre
NITTA TOLA - Judge James Hervey Maury and wife Lucinda Smith Maury - Dst. 3. Maury settled on the 750 acres located on Jackson Road, about two miles out of Port Gibson in 1856. Home plundered by Grant’s army beginning May 2, 1863. Maury also owned a home in Port Gibson.
OAKEN GROVE - Dr. Thomas Magruder; Edward F. Barnes - Dst. 5. Located three miles east of Port Gibson. Known for superior architecture and fine carved woodwork.
OAKLAND - Augustin and Elizabeth Magruder Freeland - Augustin’s father, Frisby Freeland came to Claiborne County ca 1798. The family arrived in 1806. Freeland Cemetery is in Dst. 1, and shares an historical marker with Windsor Mounds. Family genealogy records that the family is buried at Oak Hill.
OAKLAWN - David George Humphreys; Earl Humphreys - Plantation birthplace of G. Wilson Humphreys in 1819. Train stop on the Yazoo-Mississippi Valley RR.
OAK RIDGE - John Henderson; Brown family - T. W. Brown. Renamed Spring Ridge by Brown family; also called Henderson Island. (Sec. 8, Twp. 14, R. 5E)
(THE) OAKS - Built ca 1857 by Mr. Wood - On Hwy. 61 two miles south of Port Gibson. Razed in 1930’s. Spacious cottage with large lawn.
OPEN GROVE - Disharoon - Barnes family cemetery located here SW of Mercy Church
OWENS HOME - Rev. Thomas and Rebecca Owens - Dst. 3. Near Rocky Springs
PANOLA - J. J. Norwood; Parker family - NW of Ingleside, bond by LNO&T RR on east and Big Black on north.
PATTONA - Francis Patton - Novelist and poet Suzette Fontaine Foster lived here many years.
PEAR ORCHARD - Bought ca 1818 by Davenport and Sophie White Wiseman - (Sec. 1, Twp. 13, R. 4E) Sophie was the daughter of Capt. Thomas White.
PIERREMONT - Thomas Evans; Sillers family; Anderson family - Located near the Old Bayou Pierre Church west of Port Gibson. A comfortable cottage with wings. Evans sold it to Sillers in 1854. Known during Battle of Port Gibson as Andres or Venable house.
PINE GROVE - Built in early 1840’s by James and Caroline Bethea Moore ; James Moore, Jr. - Ten miles south of Hermanville. Story-and-a-half frame house.
PINEY WOODS - Richard T. Archer - Dst. 5; Listed in 1866 census as David Davenport estate.
PIPES-BAGNELL HOME - Mary Pipes Bagnell Isaac N. and James H. Pipes; Sam Bagnell - James Pipes – Dst. 3. Near Rocky Springs and Hankinson’s Ferry. Gen. Grant stayed here on march to Vicksburg, May, 1863.
PLEASANT HILL - Spanish grant to John Booth; John Booth, Jr.; Judge Lemuel N. Baldwin - Dst. 4. Three miles NE of Hermanville, adjoining Talbot. Two- story columned home built in 1830’s by Booth, Jr. Judge Baldwin was wealthy and owned a number of places including a fine town house. Burned in 1890.
RACE TRACK - Elias W. Waring; Mr. Dillon; Mr. Luster; Thomas Hutchins - Three-story building, both a home and an inn(Sec. 7, Twp. 14, R. 4E). It served as a stagecoach relay station on the Natchez Trace. The owner also owned a race track, hence the name.
REGAN ISLAND - Regan family - Near Rocky Springs
RETREAT - Built by Thomas Freeland; James M.and Susan C. Tullis Watson; John Tullis Watson; Susan C. Watson - Dst. 1. Burned Nov. 19, 1885. Referred to in newspaper as “handsome and costly mansion near Alcorn College belonging to the late James W.[M.] Watson.”
ROSE ARBOR - George McLean -
SCROGY - Joseph and Elizabeth Moore; Capt. Robert A. and Eleanor Jefferies Owen - Fifteen hundred acre plantation located on Tillman Road. The name is “an English title.” Also owned Cowpens and New Hope plantations.
SHELBY HOME - Moses Shelby; French family - Near Hull House. Old log house built on beautiful site.
SINGLETON - James B. Allen - World famous plantation known for the production of a long- staple cotton which became a standard variety developed about 1898 by Allen from earlier varieties. It was sold under thenames Allen Silk, Allen Long-Staple, Allen Hybrid, and Talbot.
SNODGRASS HOME - Spanish land grant to Llwellyn Price, gifted to daughter Margaret, wife of John Snodgrass; James Snodgrass. - Dst. 1. Typical planter’s home built ca 1850 by Mrs. Snodgrass after her husband’s death. One and a half miles east of old Oakland College. One-and-a-half-story home with marble mantels and wide windows that opened to form doors. Raided by Union troops in 1864. Burned 1920s-30’s.
SPRING PLAINS - Gov. Walter Leake; Highlander family - Located on Big Black River 3 miles north of Rocky Springs.
ST. ALBANS - Jacob Bernheimer, Charles W. Foster and C. B. Dochterman; Sam Bagnell - Very large plantation, later a portion of Heavenly Hills Ranch.
SUNSET - Barnes and Willis families - Near Port Gibson during Civil War.
SUNNYSIDE - Built after 1865 by Edward and Elizabeth Hoopes Barnes; Meredith Spenser - Dst. 2.
TALBOT - James McCaleb; W. H. and Mary Martin built home ca 1860 - Dst. 4. North fork Bayou Pierre, 875 acre plantation. One-and- a-half-story frame home, columned gallery, winding stairway. Razed. Modern day Valley of the Moon Plantation.
TANGLEWOOD - Alden Spooner Forbes and Sarah A. Thompson Forbes - Four miles west of Port Gibson. A. S. Forbes Diary and Account Book, located at MDAH, Jackson.
THOMPSON’S HILL - Built ca 1820 by Shem and Nancy Thompson; Thompson family until 1900’s - Located just west of the intersection of Widow's Creek and Shaifer Road. "Thompson's Hill," was Union name for the Battle of Port Gibson, with Gen. Grant and others using the name in reports and memoirs. Grant said its irregular ridges, impassable ravines, and canebrakes made up the most broken country he ever saw. Union Gen. Osterhaus’s division formed near the home. Thompson plantation cemetery located here.
TWIN HALLS - Acquired by 1811 by Reuben Davis; Fisher family - (Sec. 43, Twp. 14, R. 4E) Home had 18 rooms and cross halls. Fireplaces placed in corners of rooms so that one large chimney could serve four fireplaces at a time.
VALENTINE HOME - - Westside neighborhood. Near Grove’s Valley. Very fine country estate.
VANCLUSE - Built by Wm. Dowington; Wm. Prince; Benj. G. Humphreys; David G. Humphreys - Dst. 2. Originally named Downington, then Princeton. Benjamin G. Humphreys bought the property and named it Vancluse with the intention of making it his summer home, but sold it in 1852 because it was not a healthy location.
VERNALIA - Erastus and Sinai Foster Lum; Maj. Robert and Mary E. Foster McCay - Dst. 3. Two miles west of Rocky Springs on road to Hankinson’s Ferry. One-and-a-half-story frame house with porches supported by white columns. Large closets are unusual features. During the Civil War, Union troops camped on the plantation and looted the Rocky Springs home.
WATERLOO - Mr. Webb - Listed in 1866 census.
WHEELESS HOUSE - Probably built by Greenberry Wheeless ca early 1830’s; Wheeless family - Built of hand-hewn logs. Original cabin was two rooms, added on to throughout the years.
WHITE HALL - Joseph Eggleston Jones; A. K. Jones; Dr. William Preston and Sarah V. Jones Hughes - Built in 1840’s . Located on Hwy. 18, near Carlisle. Large two-and-half-story home, columned and galleried. Stood in a large park of trees. Fine family antiques. Burned.
WHITE HALL - Built in 1820’s or 1830’s by Mr. Whiting; Phillip Bethea - One-and-a-half-story, columned home on bluff few miles below Grand Gulf. Mr. Whiting laid out the town of Grand Gulf. Caved into the Mississippi River ca 1920.
WILLEMONT - Benj. & Mildred H. Maury Humphreys - Built in 1839. Their first home in Claiborne County.
WINDSOR - Smith Coffee Daniell and wife Catherine Skinner Freeland Daniell - Dst. 1. Largest antebellum home in Mississippi, built 1859 at cost of $175,000. Five stories, thirty-two rooms with a view of the Mississippi River. Twenty-four magnificent columns crowned with bronzed Corinthian capitals. Confederate lookout post and Union officer’s headquarters and hospital during Civil War. Accidentally burned in 1890. Famous ruins belong to MDAH. Plantation in Claiborne Co. 3,211 acres.
WOODBURN - Person family - Located 10 miles east of Hermanville. Very old cottage.
WOODFORD - Briscoe family - Dst. 1. Large home on upper Bayou Pierre.
WOODLAWN - Jesse Greenfield; Dr. Joseph Moore; John Taylor and Elvie Bowie Moore; Frankenbush ;C. C. Goza - Located on Willow Springs Road north of Port Gibson. House most probably built by Dr. Joseph Moore or his son, John Taylor Moore in 1820’s. Two-and-a-half-story galleried home with square columns, very large rooms and cellar.
WOODLAWN - Built ca 1850’s by Messers. Calhoun and Martin; Bearden family - Dst. 5. South fork of Bayou Pierre on Pattison Road to Hermanville. One-story home built on 8-10 feet high ground level basement. Columned front, back galleries. Burned 1931.
WOODSTOCK - W. E. Parker family - South of Port Gibson. Site of Chamberlain-Hunt Academy.
WOOLY’S MOUND - Mrs. Drumgoole - Located on James Creek, near Alcorn University.